Traffic, Car & Driving Licence

Scheinwerfer eines grünen Autos

Scheinwerfer eines grünen Autos, © colourbox


Unfortunately, the Embassy is unable to replace a German drivers licence.

If you still have a registered residence in Germany, you may apply at the at the respective drivers licence office in Germany. If you don’t have a registered residence anymore, the office in Germany usually won’t take your application according to our experience. In that case, you need to apply for a new licence at the Irish National Drivers Licence Service (NDLS). You can find details about the application process under

Additional content

More information and table of the routes affected by the ban / Weitere Hinweise und Tabelle der Verbotsstrecken finden Sie hier.

Environmental Zones are designated by the sign 'Umweltzone', and can only be entered by vehicles meeting the standards of Pollutant Classes 2 to 4 according to EU exhaust standards. Drivers entering such a zone will be required to carry a low-emission sticker.

General information on emission zones

Top of page